Friday, July 15, 2011

Sugabelly's Language Challenge


My name is Seyi Falufosi. I was born on 17th April (I actually said the fourth month,) 1985. But was this really when I was born? Yes, I was born on Wednesday, 17th of April 1985. And I was named on the eighth day of my birth, that would be... the twenty... 24th of April, 1985. My father named me Seyi, Oluwaloseeyifunmi (It's the Lord that has done this for me) Titiniayomi (My joy is everlasting.) I was also named Sarah. Because my father's mother died about a year and three months before I was born and because I was the first female child born into our extended family since her passing, my father's family named Iyabo (mother has returned!) Is there still anyone alive that calls me by that name at all? Most of them are dead... but looks like there are still about two left... (pause...
Alright, let's
continue talking. My hobbies, but before I talk about my hobbies, let me talk about what I do, what I do for a living. I work from home; I work as a translator... but I don't interpret (I had to explain it bcos translate & interpret are same word in Yoruba) I don't go about with people interpreting for them! But, if you have things you want translated from one language to the other, tell me and I'll write it for you as you speak. But if you'd rather write it, write it down and I'll translate it! I've done such work before; I started and finished the translation a book last December, I translated from English to French. That's what I studied in the University; French and German... I am always excited to translate what I hear from one language to the another for the benefit of those who don't understand the original language spoken. It's a joy for me to give let those whose language I understand, but don't understand the language spoken know what is been said. I do translate books, even certificates and written materials. Most of the such works have done are some of my Pastor's materials, the sermons he had preached, we get such transcribed and I then translate them to French. I enjoy this work so much! That's one of all the things I engage myself in.
Second among the things I do is what we know as Graphic Design (it gets a bit clumsy here... as my Yoruba vocabulary database doesn't really cover much of my IT escapades) Graphic design... hmm... one of the things that Graphic entails is pictorial representations, pamphlet and handbills of adverts of products and services, and directives or instructions and so on (this part is very... please for give for the murder of the language... lol) I also do website designs according to one of my friends (I borrowed this word from a friend.) I love this a lot, because it gives the power of a director, the power of a creator; that I can create something gives me great joy!
Also, I can be put in the class of those who fix computers (I forgot that I was to say computer in Yoruba...) And oh, I enjoy this a whole lot. If you were to put a computer in front of me right now, I can dismantle it to the... (then I didn't know what to call "the smallest item there is on a computer.") I will "dismember" it completely to the small pin (had to say pin bcos there used to be the ideology among Yoruba's that a needle was the hardest thing to search for) any day any time. What else is there to say? My hobbies! Aha! Ok!
I love meeting people. This is one of the reasons I started my bloggers... my blogspot. I love helping people; offering a helping hand, this is one of the reasons I know I lot of things... I love seeking knowledge. I am one of those the seek out knowledge the most in the world, that I know! Hmm... what else do I love doing? Oh, I love dancing. I dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, (I was actually dance as I was repeating the word dance!) I can get a visa for dancing! :D I can get the drum for dancing! I'm dancing even as I speak. All my friend that know me know I so much love dancing. The other thing I love doing is watching movies. Oh, I love  watching movies a lot. But I don't watch Nollywood o! Because most of what they do in Nollywood is rubbish, don't let's deceive ourselves (I'm sorry, but it's the truth!) Most of what they do in Nollywood is rubbish! But, when they change, I will watch Nollywood. Men, I watch movies! My favorite kind of movies are animations; pictures and drawings that are given voices, made to walk and do things... (pause)
Come back some other day, I give you my biography! This is enough; I did this because of a challenge! Bye!

3 comments:

Myne said...

I'm learning Yoruba and I loved hearing you speak. :)

mypenmypaper said...

your yoruba is just perfect,

One thing Ive not been able to understand is numbers in Yoruba. The only thing I can count is one to ten. I dont even know what eleven is.

MARVEL! said...

@Myne Whitman: Thanks! How are you finding the language?

@mypenmypaper: You think so? I'm still working on it! And while I can speak well enough, I'm really working at writing the Language. Here, let me offer you a little help! 11 - Mokanla, 12 - Mejila, 13 - Metala, 14 - Merinla, 15 - Meedogun, 16 - Merindinlogun, 17 - Metadinlogun, 18 - Mejidinlogun, 19 - Okandinlogun, 20 - Ogun!

ShareThis