Monday, July 23, 2012

Circle Up boys & girls: let's build a nation! Part 2

Hi again. It's me and my nation building formula. If you're just enjoying the show, please do catch up by reading up my last post.
Alright, let's roll guys!

GET A SKILL
Yes, I know your career path has nothing to do with vocations… blah blah blah. Take a pause, dear. What you have to contribute to the house you come from, the society you live; something that can be handy when
money fails? Learn something new every year, pursue it to a point where it can save you at a moment when that’s all you have to trade with. It is said that money we spend is not the currency, but the value we pass on. What value do you have to pass along?

Things are getting unstable these days; people losing jobs every now and then. I know a lot of these people already have experience, so they’ll get jobs immediately, right? Wrong! Truth is a number of these will get jobs, some even better jobs. But, most won’t, because the jobs are just not there. So, where do such people go? Back to the values they have, and like an old tool that has collected dust over the years; they get it brushed up and ready to perform.

Another thing mastery of skills does for you is give you confidence regardless of where you find yourself. Knowing you have something to offer makes is easier to say NO to temptations most fall for. Yes, I am saying you’ll not have to be a “runs” girl or gigolo for any “Oga.” Most of those that find themselves in the act of sleeping with their bosses, lecturers, superiors etc for the promotion, are in it because they don’t have anything else to offer or they believe they don’t. When your boss know what value you bring to the table and know he needs it in his establishment, he’ll not propose such an arrangement. Even if he does, he’ll straighten up when you tell him no, letting him know that you’ll rather leave his offer. That is because having a skill also makes it easier for you to demand what is rightfully yours and not cringe in the face of injustice.
I can tell you that each skill I possess today has come to my rescue at some point in time or the other during the course of my years and I can so confidently say that they all still have their rightful places in my future (near or far.)

NEVER STAY IDLE
Regardless of what level you are, you have no real excuse to be idle for a long time. I know you're between jobs, you're a fresh school leaver or are you unskilled? That's no excuse to remain idle, doing nothing. What idleness will do to you is get you further useless and unfit for any job you should ideally qualify for. That is apart from making you an ideal target receptacle for all thoughts and of course an easy prey for people with wicked intentions.

So here's what I'll prescribe, this is nothing extraordinary as I myself have done this before. Decide some sector of the economy you would like to function in, find a business, an institution in that line and volunteer your services. Because it's voluntary, I'll advise it's closer to your house. That way you won't have to incur much on transportation and probably feeding, since you can easily go home for lunch. Whatever you choose, let your goal be adding value to the people you're helping and of course to yourself.

A good example of places you can go is local school especially Primary Schools. Meet the head teacher or whoever is in charge, let them know what area you could help in, then start immediately. Make yourself as useful and reliable as the teachers on their payrolls. You can later move on to offering extra classes to the kids, with the permission of school authority, on the school premises. You could charge them a token, something not to far from the lunch money of children their age and background. I advise charging because this will help the children be serious, knowing that they're giving something in exchange for the value they're getting. I always advise that people pay for knowledge no matter how little, because that is the major way, we as humans evaluate value (now that sounds like a repetition.)
So, in anything you decide, put in all your efforts and be diligent, because in there lies your reward.

EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
Take responsibility for your life, girl! Yes, I know you had a daddy problem, but I don’t see him messing around with the men sleeping with you. He’s not the one turned to the mistress of the men twice his age; no, that’s you! You’re the one changing partners like you’d change your sanitary pads. Yes, I know you think it is fun, but have you checked out your soul recently? My dear, it’s wearing thin; growing lean and gaunt. It’s sick; yes, I mean you’re sick and you really need help. Go get it, dear, it’ll do you a world of good.

Maybe, Kola Boof is your role model, abi? You probably don’t know this about her that in spite of herself, Kola is an intelligent woman who knows what pertains. She’s a best seller author and script writer for one of the longest running soaps; Days of our Lives. She was married with kids even after she had gone through some of the harshest ordeals of her life. She only turned to the “bitch” she like people to think of her after her divorce, which resulted from choosing not to let go of her career for her marriage. From what I have read of and from her, she knows how to put her life in order and she will do that when she’s good and ready.
So, let me ask you: what exactly have you done with your life that can tell me you’re ready to lead the life of “damaged woman” such as Kola? Don’t get me wrong, I love and respect Kola Boof; I’ve learnt a thing or two from her, good stuffs too. But really girl, are you ready for her kind of life? Snap out of it, girl and get your life in order.

Get a grip, boy! I know to you all girls are bitch because that damaged girl did hurt you. But tell me, does that really a reason to sample every V with your P? You live like you’re on a test run spree. I know everything else in your life is in order and this is the only vice you engage in. You have a good job, you pay your bills and you do not owe anybody. Maybe, you even have your parents on a steady monthly allowance. Bravo, brother. But, I’ve got news for you: if you don’t get clean in this area, you haven’t done shit (pardon my language!) Because, truth be told, it’s a matter of time before this lackadaisical attitude creeps into your business and your career. No, I’ve not started talking about the spiritual implications yet! I’m saying the way you handle your relationship with women would eventually affect you career and thereby your progress in life.

Also remember HIV/AIDS is very real! I haven’t told you both about the spiritual incline, right? There is more to sex than what happens in your bodies. There is the entwining of souls and spiritual properties. My dears, destinies are made, changed and shared in the place of sex. So, let me ask you sir, how many girls carry around a piece or even large chunks of your soul? Darling, how many men’s destinies (the good tidings, the bad luck and all) do you carry on your inside? Girl, don’t you think that is some weight on your soul? Some, people do what is necessary.

Yeah, I know I’m not an authority on the subject, meet @Omotoola and @deTONAnate on twitter for that. But what I’ve done here is make you see the need for some emotional intelligence as we build our nation Nigeria.

Part 3 (hopefully the concluding part) to be out in a week's time.
Disclaimers: these lines were written with you in mind, so if you think I'm talking about you, then I am!
OluSeyi
Find me on twitter as @Im_a_MARVEL

Taken at Gani Fawehinmi Park, Ojota, Lagos during Occupy Nigeria protest Jan 2012


No comments:

ShareThis